Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I. Heart. Aldi.

My newest serious relationship is with Aldi, the discount food store. I've put Chipotle on the back burner, it just wasn't working for me anymore. I went on a date with Aldi last week, when I needed some stuff for breakfast and it was right next to my oil change place. At first glance, it's a little weird and I was iffy on it. I knew the stuff was cheap, but I'd never tried it before, so I was leery of the quality. Was this really too good to be true? I decided to have our second date last night, since I ran out of totinos party pizzas, and have been in desperate need of groceries since I moved into the new place about 3 weeks ago. Last night absolutely sealed the deal for me. Nearly everything I bought was close to half the price of what it would have been at Wal-Mart or Kroger (excluding sales or coupons, but still!) I walked out of Aldi with a stocked pantry, for 56 dollars. I bet you I won't have to buy groceries for a month. (True or False?: I immediately called my mom and my roommate to tell them about my savings, and was shrieking like a little girl. TRUE.)

If you're expecting a regular grocery store I have to mention that there are a few small quirks about my new boyfriend Aldi, that if you didn't know at first, might skew your perception of its fantastic-ness. One, you must have a quarter to get a buggy (don't worry, it gives it back at the enddd), two, there are no baskets, and three, there are no shopping bags-- you have to BYO or they have boxes for you at checkout. They also tend not to have obscure items (I couldn't find quick grits or Catalina Dressing)...But if you can get past these quirks and open your mind to the savings, you'll be absolutely amazed.

Items of Note: Ground Turkey- $1.49/lb, Winking Owl Cabernet- $2.62,  English Muffins, 6 count- 99c, Rice Krispie Treats (yes I eat like a kid, don't judge me) 8 count- 99c, Frozen Chicken Pot Pie- 59c ( I have no idea if this will be good, but for 59c, I figured it was worth a try!)

Being the Self-Professed Wino that I am, I have to stop for a second and rave about the Cabernet. It was the smoothest red wine I've had in a whileeeeeeee. I'd say, very comparable to a Kendall Jackson level, but a bit sweeter, which suited my tastes fine. No bite at all, which is super unusual for cheap red wine! Perfect to serve while entertaining, and if you're looking to buy in bulk, a six-bottle case is around 16 dollars! For $2.62, its my Diva on a Dollar Deal of the Week!



Try Aldi, I know you'll love it as much as I do!

** Side Note... After raving about it when I got home, my roommate decided to try Aldi as well for her evening grocery run and had just as much success as I did!

2 comments:

  1. This place is owned by the same people as Trader Joe's and I just tried TJ's for the first time the other day. I'm in love too! I just found out there is an Aldi on Garner's Ferry in Columbia. Katie and I will make our next run there! I'm FOR SURE trying the wine. Might just buy it in bulk so I am always stocked. And Amanda would LOVE the fact that it has an owl on it. Just sayin'... Thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Aldi as well. A few things I love there are their brownie mix, their Grandessa Oatmeal and Cranberry cookies (Mom digs the chocolate and pecan), their chocolate is delicious. Also their spaghetti sauce - the cheap one, not Grandessa, is wonderful. I don't absolutely have to doctor it up. I also love their Fit and Active brand, from the granola/meal bars to the soup , they have some awesome deals.

    I also found my electric tea kettle there. It was about 10 dollars and it has lasted me for years and I use it regularly. I would not hesitate to buy the Crofton brand again.

    ReplyDelete